Thursday, March 3, 2011

Cultivating Confidence-Victoria's story

I don’t normally do an introduction for my cultivating confidence posts, but this week is a little different. You see, last week I reached out to a local celebrity and asked her if she would consider being a part of my series. I was so excited when she replied and said she would.

Victoria Snee is a co-host of the morning show on MIX 102.9 in Dallas. I have listened to her for years. She used to be an entertainment reporter on CW 33 who interviewed stars and went to movie premieres. I always thought she had good reviews and I found her very relatable. On the morning show, she does some very cool segments like “Star Style” and another one of my favorites is “Fashionably Frugal Friday.” Who doesn’t want to know about cool deals in the area that are in style and affordable?

She has a website called www.beautybuzzbook.com, where she shares beauty tips. She also just wrote a book called “The Beauty Buzz: No More Beauty B.S.!”

I cannot say enough good things about her. She had a number of books signings and appearances and yet she had her write up to me within days—that meant the world to me. She is also very passionate about promoting esteem in others, too. Here is Victoria’s story:


Photo provided by Victoria Snee

I would say that my biggest insecurity has always been fear of being myself and people not liking me. When I started in radio, we would always give our opinions about different topics and issues and at first, I didn’t want to say anything too controversial. I didn’t want to upset people or say something I thought they might not like. But then I realized, it didn’t really matter. Not everyone is going to love you. You will have people who don’t like you for things that you can’t even control, like the sound of your voice. I realized that if I am not true to myself, I can never be true to anyone else. Embrace who you are and love who you are. The opinion that matters most is your opinion about yourself.

I love that the older I get, the more confident I get. I feel more confident in my own skin. I feel good about the person that I am. I constantly strive to be a better person--a better wife, a better daughter, a better sister, a better friend. I will always put pressure on myself to succeed both professionally and personally in my relationships, but I realize that it’s OK to make mistakes. If I do fall, I will dust myself off and get right back in there and not be scared to try again. Failing is when we truly learn what we are made of. I believe you must fail to truly succeed.

My best advice—never stop trying! When one door closes, another one always opens. I tell anyone trying to get into the broadcast business (TV or radio), take any job that they will give you no matter what it is. All you need is a foot in the door. Get in there and show them what you are really made of and what you can really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment